International Development Grants
The Community Initiatives Program International Development Grants
The Community Initiatives Program International Development Grants provide assistance to further Alberta’s commitment to help people in developing countries eventually meet their own needs.
Assistance is provided to projects run by:
- Small and medium-sized organizations
- Alberta-based organizations
- Non-government organizations
The purpose of international development grants is to match or supplement donations Albertans make to humanitarian projects.
Types of projects assisted:
- Immunization and health
- Educational and awareness
- Food production and livelihood
- Micro-financing and sustainability
- Sanitation and hygiene
- Emergency disaster relief (contact the program office for this category)
As part of the final accounting requirements, a detailed accounting of expenditures must accompany the completed final report form, along with bank transfer documentation detailing the transfer of funds from Alberta to the project location.
Grant recipients are not required to provide receipts but are required to maintain financial records, including receipts, to provide an accounting of spending. A CIP International Representative may examine financial records to verify the grant was properly spent.
Full implementation 2018-19
More information about the grant is available in the following video.
Electronic Funds Transfer – NEW
The International Development Grant Program will now be providing electronic funds transfer (EFT) to successful applicants.
This new system is safe and efficient and allows organizations to have their grant funds deposited directly into their bank account in a timely manner.
As part of the application process, all applicants are now required to provide either:
- A pre-printed VOID cheque with the legal name of your organization. Please note that the name on the cheque must match your provincial or federal registration documents EXACTLY.
- A completed "Government of Alberta Application for Direct Deposit" form, which must be authorized by organization representatives and your financial institution by obtaining a "Bank Teller Stamp" and Financial Institution Officer's signature. This form can be accessed below.
Guidelines, Application, Final Report Forms and PDF Download Tips
PDF Download Tips
PLEASE NOTE: If you experience difficulty downloading/opening forms, try the following steps:
- Downloading the forms by right-clicking on the link to the form
- Select "Save Target As...", or "Save link as..."
- Save the form to your computer
- Open the form that you saved to your computer
- Download latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- “Save form as” to desktop (as above)
- Open Adobe Acrobat
- In Acrobat, click File, then Open, find the form on Desktop and double click
Key Documents to Download
Completed Applications, Final Reports, other CIP-International Development documents, plus related attachments, may be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on a marker to see a project.
Last reviewed/revised: December 15, 2016