Online Permitting and Clearance
As part of an initiative to streamline services, Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development and Alberta Culture and Tourism share an online application system for:
- Historical Resources Act approvals
- Permits to undertake archeological studies or paleontological studies
- Permits to conduct research within Alberta Parks and Protected Areas
Historical Resources Act Clearance
Proponents and agents need to consult with Alberta Culture and Tourism prior to the onset of development activities. Project details must be provided to Alberta Culture and Tourism in a
Historic Resources Application submitted through the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system.
Materials to assist in using OPaC are available in the User Guide Section listing below.
Archaeological and Paeolontological Permit Processes
Since proclamation of the Alberta Historical Resources Act, all archaeological and palaeontological studies undertaken in Alberta require a valid permit. Section 3 of the Archaeological and Palaeontological Research Permit Regulation outlines the qualifications necessary to hold such permits and the conditions under which studies must take place.
Questions about eligibility to hold archaeological permits should be directed to Darryl Bereziuk, Director, Archaeological Survey Section.
Questions about eligibility to hold palaeontological permits should be directed to Dan Spivak, Head, Resource Management Section, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.
Active archaeologists and paelontologists have been supplied an OPaC user account through which they can apply for permits. Newly qualified archaeologists must contact Martina Purdon, Head, Regulatory Approvals and Information Management to activate the permit-related features of OPaC. For similar access, newly qualified palaeontologists should contact Dan Spivak, Head, Resource Management Section, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.
For more information regarding use of the OPaC system, please contact Martina Purdon, Head Regulatory Approvals and Information Management.
- Applicant Agreement - Mitigative Permit Application (PDF – 43 KB)
- Applicant Agreement - Research Permit Application (PDF – 39 KB)
- Applicant Agreement - Student Permit Application (PDF – 42 KB)
- Archeology Resources Recommended Action Matrix (RAM) (DOC – 39 KB)
- Paleontological Resources Recommended Action Matrix (RAM) (DOC – 37 KB)
- Permit Transfer Agreement Form (PDF – 59 KB)
Statements of Justification (SoJ) Guides and Forms
Last reviewed/revised: October 20, 2014