Albertans are connected to nature, able to explore the outdoors.
- Develop programs and services to connect adults and children with nature.
- Enhance education and stewardship programs to improve environmental and physical literacy and to facilitate unstructured play in the outdoors.
- Implement Alberta's Plan for Parks to guide long term planning and ensure our parks are protected yet accessible for Albertans' active living, recreation and sport activities.
- Develop a provincial recreation trails strategy that:
- Accommodates diverse abilities.
- Links communities to parks, outdoor spaces and recreation facilities.
- Supports sustainable land and water-based trails.
- Local governments develop parks and outdoor spaces that are connected to other parks, outdoor spaces and trails in the region.
- Develop an online tool for Albertans and visitors to easily find and learn about outdoor active living, recreation and sport opportunities.
What does success look like in ten years?
Last reviewed/revised: March 9, 2015
- More Albertans enjoy recreational opportunities outdoors.
- Parks stewardship programs and services integrate the principles of physical literacy and unstructured play.
- Regional plans and strategies of the Land-Use Framework ensure active living, recreation and sport needs are met.